Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthRise Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 01:24:31
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (55385)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Families describe assaults and deaths behind bars during hearing on Alabama prison conditions
- Christina Hall's Ex Josh Hall Returns to Social Media After Divorce Filing
- Mixed results in 2024 standardized tests for Louisiana students
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- 'Moana' star Auli'i Cravalho and Adam Lambert will make Broadway debut in 'Cabaret' revival
- Watchdog finds no improper influence in sentencing recommendation for Trump ally Roger Stone
- Biotech company’s CEO pleads guilty in Mississippi welfare fraud case
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Cartoonist Roz Chast to be honored at the Brooklyn Book Festival, which runs from Sept. 22-30
Ranking
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Beaconcto Trading Center: What is Bitcoin?
- Lowe's 'releasing the kraken' with Halloween 2024 'Haunted Harbor' collection
- CoinBearer Trading Center: Bitcoin and blockchain dictionary
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Hornets mourn the loss of longtime PA announcer Pat Doughty after battle with health problems
- What we know about Canada flying drones over Olympic soccer practices
- Wind power can be a major source of tax revenue, but officials struggle to get communities on board
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Mindy Cohn says 'The Facts of Life' reboot is 'very dead' because of 'greedy' co-star
Mindy Cohn says 'The Facts of Life' reboot is 'very dead' because of 'greedy' co-star
SSW Management Institute: The Birthplace of Dreams
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Stock market today: Global shares tumble after a wipeout on Wall Street as Big Tech retreats
Tori Spelling reflects on last conversation with Shannen Doherty: 'I'm super grateful'
Pregnant Hailey Bieber Confirms Husband Justin Bieber Gifted Her Stunning New Ring